Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It's Really Okay to Read for Fun in the Summer!

How many of you have ever made the vow that you were going "to read only good books this summer, all the classics"?  While this is a worthy and noble sentiment, I firmly believe that reading in the summer should be for fun.  If reading the classics sounds like resounding good fun for you, go for it!  However, I would like to encourage everyone to just read anything that appeals to you, no matter how horrific the reviews or if it is supposed to be a "good" book.    It is so hot during our summer that I think we need to give our brain a break.  Save those classics you are supposed to read and all those serious books for temperatures below 75 degrees.  I heartily endorse reading and devouring some fun, escapist, fluffy mind candy. A book that whisks you away to its world; a book that you just do not want to put down until it is finished. 

Here are some of my purely favorite fun reads-I won't say beach reads because in Texas I strongly feel that it is best to do your summer reading curled up on the couch with the dogs in the A/C.  Bet Me, Welcome to Temptation, and Crazy for You, by Jennifer Crusie; Natural Born Charmer, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (absolutely hysterial opening pages!);  Bridget Jones, by Helen Fielding (an oldie but a goodie - MUCH  better than the movie, although I am always happy to picture Colin Firth as Mark Darcy); the Jane Madison Series by Mindy Klasky - how could I resist, it is a series about a librarian who is a witch; Romancing Mr. Bridgerton, by Julia Quinn-a delightful and witty Regency romp; and speaking of the Regency period I have enjoyed all the books in the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig.  Yes, most of these have elements of chick lit but that is what makes them great summer reads!

I also enjoy the Mrs. Murphy and Jane Arnold mysteries by Rita Mae Brown but my favorite book of hers is Bingo, I stayed up all night laughing and reading.   I can keep going:  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee; any book by Sarah Vowell or Mary Roach; Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibson...  Of course, no summer is complete without reading some of my favorites once again:  Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and all of Jane Austen's work

So, this summer just think about reading for fun.  Let yourself embrace your favorite flavor of delicious mind candy.  Don't forget, I am available to help you find new books to explore or "read alikes" of your favorite genre or author. 

Happy Reading!
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment